Climbing Mountains  

Posted by: Cameon


Every now and then I find myself going through old Facebook pictures. Most of the time when I do this I find myself thinking, “Why the heck did I decide to make that face in this picture?” but here recently it has been a little different.


I’m a huge believer in pictures telling a story. Smiles, laughter, tears—they all share something and tell a story about an event that was happening at the time and with that being said I share this picture:



I know, it is not the most flattering picture in the world. My hiney is right there and let me tell you that harness was definitely NOT the most comfortable thing in the world. I posted this picture though, because it told the most telling story of all: my climb to figure out who I was and what I wanted.


On the surface to many, I was at the ideal place for me and incredibly happy. Growing up a huge Alabama fan, attending the University Of Alabama was like a dream to me. Honestly, I thought it was too until I got down to the campus and realized that I didn’t really fit in. I found that at UA, it’s incredibly hard to fit in if you aren’t in the Greek system and especially when you’re taking 18 hours, working 30 hours a week, and also trying to run a business.


I was struggling with who I was, what I wanted to do, and overall what I wanted to be “when I grew up.” In one foul swoop I was reminded that I was growing up and that the decisions I made weighed heavily on my future.


The picture above displays me climbing a swinging ladder. You had to use a friend to help you get up the ladder and accomplish your goal. It hit me today how true this was for the situation I was/am going through.


Almost a year later, I’ve finally reached that point where I’m pretty happy with who I am, what I’m doing, and the path that I’m on with my education and personal life. I’ve changed my major to Speech and Language Pathology which I’m incredibly excited about and am going to start taking classes again at Jeff State in the Fall to get back in the swing of things and I have to admit that I’m pretty excited about starting school again.


I’m excited about meeting new people and getting a chance to do the college thing over again because I feel like my first time around maybe I didn’t do it right.


The most important thing though, is that I couldn’t have climbed that mountain without the help of my family, friends, and most recently Hunter. All of which I can’t express how grateful I am for.


Here’s to climbing your own mountains…

This entry was posted on Monday, July 30, 2012 . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments

Post a Comment